Monday, March 10, 2014

Talking and Teaching...Teaching and Talking

My two favorite things are talking and teaching.  Conferences combine my two loves~I get to talk to teachers about teaching!


I am getting things ready to present at the North Carolina Reading Conference this coming Sunday, March 15th in Raleigh, North Carolina and the Virginia State Reading Association the following Friday, March 21 in Roanoke, Virginia.  I'll be presenting a workshops on one of my favorite topics:  writing!  Kindergartners are often underestimated when it comes to writing.  I was told by one colleague how little kindergartners could actually do when it came to writing.  "You can't expect them to actually write without telling them EXACTLY what to write."  WHAT?  I was floored.  I showed her writing from students across the curriculum and she actually accused me of lying.  That's right, lying.  I can't wait to show literacy educators in North Carolina how to get good quality writing samples from their kindergartners.  Don't get me wrong, it's all about teaching the process before you expect the product.

Starting with predictable word wall word sentences.  Teach the process of writing.  A sentence starts with an uppercase.  Spaces belong between each word.  A end mark goes at the end.

Giving the sentence starter and a choice board for sentences, students can write sentences they can read.  (The example is using the Fountas and Pinnell sound linking chart.)

The 3 at the top refers to the BIG 3 for writing (capitals, spaces, and end marks).  Of course, we make an anchor chart for The Big 3.  We even sing a song.  To the tune of "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star," we sing the following song:

"Writing a sentence is easy as can be.
All you need is The Big 3.
Start with capital.  Spaces in between.
Writing a sentence is easy as can be.End with a period, if you know what I mean.
All you need is The Big 3."


Moving forward, put writing in every part of your day.  Morning work, journals, centers like Squiggles and Listening, and many writing centers.

The key to writing with kindergartners isn't a secret...it's just to write!  Stay tuned for more about writing and I'll tell you about the conferences.  ard to writing everywhere.  Morning work, journals, listening center, squiggle center, and many writing centers, such as 4 Square and First-Then-Last.



Hold on, spring is coming (finally!).

Special thanks to www.mycutegraphics.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment