I have to be strategic about the Book Room Makeover, so I decided to tackle the boxes.
First, I am checking the books against the existing inventory. I'd say 95% of the inventory had to be corrected. Not only am I counting the books, I have to make sure they are in bags of 6 or so. I'm also assigning the books to boxes.
After I have counted the books, I'm checking the inventory to make are all the books are leveled appropriately. During the Level D inventory yesterday, I found 9 books out of 180 titles (approximately) that were mislabeled by 1 or 2 levels. The front of the box will have the library pocket and a label of the box contents. )I don't like the labels on the boxes, they weren't big enough, but it's all I had and thought I could live with it. I can't.) I will redo the labels on the A boxes.
It's a slow process, but I feel like I'm making progress. Here's an example the new books.
The check-out process will be with index cards, not clothes pins. The teacher will take the bag from the box and add their index card to the pocket on the front. When they return the books, the box number is listed on the bag. They'll replace the bag and put their card back in the storage pocket.
Stay Tuned for more!!!!