Each spring it's overwhelming for teachers and students. I try to help the teachers in any way I can.
This week we are administering the DSA and I have had lots of questions about scoring and recording the results. Here is a peak at my notes for the teachers.
DSA Evaluation Procedures and Grouping Practices
How do I score the test?
How Do I order the students on the DSA Class Record Sheet?
- Start with the highest test given. Let’s assume you gave the Letter Name and Within Word tests. Start with the Within Word.
- Think of each test as a 5 digit number...and put them in order highest to lowest.
- Now they are ordered by the FEATURE.
- Write the name of the child who had the highest feature scores on the first line and fill in the Within Word columns.
- Continue with the whole list; writing the names and filling in the Within Word columns.
- Go back to the Letter Name test and fill in the scores beside the names on the list.
How do I group the students?
|Section 1 on the Score Sheet|
|Section 2 of the Score Sheet|
|Section 3 of the Score Sheet|
The second group, Ellen to Katie, can be instructed at a faster pace in Feature F. They have some knowledge of the CVCe feature, but still show confusions. The third group, Lisa to Rita, will be instructed at a slower pace in Feature F. They need instruction from the ground up.
|Section 4 of the Score Sheet|
|Class with Highlighted Groups|