Wednesday, March 9, 2016

Where do you do quick checks?

Testing on the go...get a cart and 2 chairs and you're ready.
You know I am lucky enough to be in a primary school.  I have a little more than 500 students from kindergarten to second grade.  I also have a "campus-style" school.  We have a main building for the office, cafeteria, gym, computer lab, clinic, and library.  We have no enclosed hallways, and our first and second grade classes open to the outside.  Our kindergarten classes are in a separate building with 4 classrooms that open to a hallway.  When I am doing Friday quick checks for interventions or updating Fountas and Pinnell benchmarks, even though my classroom isn't far from the kindergarten building, it takes too much time to go get a student, walk back to my office, and do a quick check.  I also hate to walk into a classroom, interrupt what's going on, and try to get an assessment completed with regular classroom distractions.  SOOO...
Testing on the go...get a cart and 2 chairs and you're ready.
I have a rolling cart just inside my classroom with 2 chairs waiting.  I can wheel it into the kindergarten hallway, flip down the chairs and have an instant assessment table.  I have always had big plans for my cart.  Sticky tape for velcro, so I can attach a cute apron around the edges.  I've even envisioned an apron with pockets.  BUT, that hasn't happened.  How would you fix it?
Testing on the go...get a cart and 2 chairs and you're ready.
I can test a student, pick up the chairs and move to the next room.

What are your best "on the go" ideas for testing?

No comments:

Post a Comment