Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Who Doesn't Love a Book Fair?

My last book fair post was in May of 201, so I want to share all the fun again.
Who doesn't love a BOOK FAIR? It's a great place to get new books and get books into the home libraries of our students. Here are a few new books.
We had the book fair at out school last week...and I found some great treasures.  I have recently heard some teachers at my school and on-line complaining about book fairs at schools because everything is sold at full price.  I know we could get a break ordering on Amazon, but at least we get books for our school instead of money for Amazon.  I also think it's such a great opportunity to let children see lots of books in one place.  I do wish they wouldn't sell the "junk" at the cash register (erasers, sharpeners, and silliness) that seems to take away from buying books. But, I won't lie...I love the Book Fair.

Mousetropolis
Who doesn't love a BOOK FAIR? It's a great place to get new books and get books into the home libraries of our students. Here are a few new books.

This is a new take on an old book.  Mousetropolis is a new take on the Country Mouse, City Mouse fable.  Once again, text story is the same, but the text is simple.  An added benefit for this book is the onomatopoeia element added to the story.  Whoooooo!  Swoosh-swoosh chugga-chugga Meow! Squeak! 

The Lion Inside
Who doesn't love a BOOK FAIR? It's a great place to get new books and get books into the home libraries of our students. Here are a few new books.

This is sure to be a new favorite. Little Mouse is so little no one ever pays attention to him.  He's stepped on, sat on, overlooked an ignored. On the other hand, lion commands attention and is revered by all the animals.  Mouse decides if he can roar and let "the lion inside" out, the animals would pay attention to him.  When that doesn't turn out like he hopes, he goes to see lion.  You'll have to read the book to figure out what happens next.

Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion
Little Red Gliding Hood
Who doesn't love a BOOK FAIR? It's a great place to get new books and get books into the home libraries of our students. Here are a few new books.

As you can tell, these books are borrowed from the traditional story "Little Red Riding Hood."  Little Red and the Very Hungry Lion has a jungle setting with fun "hairdresser" surprise.  Little Red Gliding Hood takes place in the enchanted forest in the winter.  Several old friends (the 3 little pigs, the gingerbread man, the hey diddle, diddle characters and many more) make an appearance.  These two books can lead to great discussions of compare and contrast.

Red
Who doesn't love a BOOK FAIR? It's a great place to get new books and get books into the home libraries of our students. Here are a few new books.

Yes, I know the lettering says blue and is colored red...just like the title and the crayon in this book.  I was quite taken with this book. I found myself unexpectedly emotional.  Red is a "red" crayon who isn't good at being red.  Everyone thinks they know how to fix Red, but he just can't be red no matter how hard he tries. The book has a great message for all students and parents. I can see this used with students to talk about how we are all good at something, but maybe not the same thing.  I can see this used with parents who are coming to terms with their child getting a diagnosis or a special education "label."  I can also see this book being used in a middle or high school setting when discussing students who are faced with feeling different than their "label" of sexual or gender identity.  This is a powerful book that helps us all see beyond whatever label we have and just see the student and the talents within.  It's powerful.

I Wish You More
Who doesn't love a BOOK FAIR? It's a great place to get new books and get books into the home libraries of our students. Here are a few new books.

Finally, something extra. I wish you more.  It's simple and it's lovely.  "I wish you more ups than downs. I wish you more give than take. I wish you more tippy-toes than deep." Isn't that what we all need.

No comments:

Post a Comment